Saturday, March 20, 2010

Attending Conferences

Next week, on March 25th, the finalists of the Romance Writers of America Golden Heart contest will be announced. I did enter this year, with an early draft of my manuscript. On the off-chance I'm one of the finalists in my category (when I say early draft, I mean barely edited), I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies to go to the conference in Nashville. If not, that particular conference will be put on hold until next year, and I suppose I'll re-enter my now-prisinte-and-polished manuscript for the 2011 contest. That said, I'm wondering if I just shouldn't go this year anyway. We all know its a gold mine of workshops, networking, and formal pitching opportunities. But when you add up the cost of the conference, hotel accomodations, food, travel expenses, and the daunting idea of being in Nashville all by my lonely self....I think I might chicken out. Agent Kelly Mortimer says that if you're serious about writing, you'll find a way to go (she said this on her website, not to me personally). I will be attending other conferences this year, but RWA is 'the big one'. It's also the biggest price tag. So, if I'm a finalist, I'll go. If not, I won't. Is that wrong?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the contest!

    I attend the NESCBWI conference every year and always learn something new. It's nice to meet other writers in person too.

    ReplyDelete